During these unique Covid-19 times, more and more people are shopping online. I know I am, I avoid going out in public. Honestly though, I was doing that before the virus because I prefer spending my free time doing something I like, and shopping is not one of them.
I spend a lot of time online, whether it is shopping or working and I see many websites that need to be redesigned or just a little updating. However some need a complete overhaul.
How do you know your website needs to be redesigned? A few key elements to look for include:
- Visually Appealing – A website that looks neat and modern can say a lot about your business. It needs to be easy to navigate on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Content – The visual appeal of your website draws people in, but it is the content that keeps them there. The copy needs to be simple and effective, written with your target audience in mind. You only have about 3 seconds to grab someone’s attention, so you need to make it count. Utilizing bullet points is an effective way to convey valuable information quickly.
- Technical updates – Your website needs to be updating each time the developer of your theme or plugin makes an update to the software. This applies to WordPress website where each plugin can have a different developer. Each time WordPress makes an update, the developer needs to update their plugins. If these updates are not made, eventually WordPress and your plugins will lose compatibility causing issues on the site or even causing it to crash completely.
- Security – If your website is not using HTTPS protocol then it is not secure, and Google will penalize your search ranking. This means any information that is transmitted from you to your customer, or your customer to you, is vulnerable to being hacked. You should never take payments via your website if you are not using HTTPS. Most search engines will put up a warning before your site can load stating that it is not secure, which will cause potential customers to click away fast!
- Opt in form – You should have a way to collect email addresses of those visiting your site who might want to receive further information on your products or services. People will more readily give you their email address if you offer them something of value in return, like a free download with tips.
- Usability – Be sure your site is not overwhelming with long copy. The idea is for customers to be able to look at your site and navigate to the information they are looking for quickly. If they have to read long paragraphs of text, they will leave your site to find a simpler one. User interface and ease of navigation are top priorities for any website.
- Load times – A recent study found that the average human attention span has fallen from 12 seconds in 2000 (about the time smartphones hit the scene) to eight seconds today. A goldfish’s attention span is 9 seconds! (Source digitalinformationworld.com) Google rewards sites that load faster by giving them better search rankings. You can test the load speed of your website by going to Google PageSpeed Insights and entering your web page URL. It will analyze your site and give you suggestions to speed it up.
- Web host – Using the lowest priced web host you can find is not always the best idea. It may save you a little money now, but it might cost you later when your website is down through no fault of your own, or your site is so slow customers click away before it fully loads. Web hosting should be based on your individual needs . I recommend using SiteGround. They keep their systems updated and their customer service is easy wonderful.
With so many people moving to online shopping, you need to be sure your website can handle the new attention it may be receiving from online shoppers. Making smaller changes now will save you money in the long run. Why not take advantage of the current online world we are living in and update your website to keep your visitors interested long enough to click that Add to Cart button?
Is your website in need of some TLC? Schedule a call with me today and we can talk about it.
Do you really have time to deal with website maintenance and updates? Do the changes you make to your site never look just right? Let someone you can trust do the updates and changes for you. All our team members have years of WordPress experience and can handle any updates or site changes you need.
If you saw last week’s blog, then you already know about our great new service. Well, it’s finally live! Remember we talked about the importance of keeping your website updated? It keeps things running smoothly and helps protect your site against cyber-attacks. Did you know if you do an update, even a required one, there could be a conflict between WordPress and your theme, or your theme and a plugin, that might cause your website not to function like it should? Remembering to confirm a current backup is in place is just one of the things we will do before starting updates. We also know how troubleshoot the plugins to find the conflict if needed. These are the type of services you will receive when you sign up for our maintenance package.
The monthly Website Maintenance Package includes:
- All WordPress required updates
- All theme required updates
- Content changes (2 per month)
- Additional page (1 per month)
- Confirm backups are completed
No more worries about the little red dots with numbers in them that appear on the dashboard of your website. No more worrying about how to add content and new pages to your site. Contact us and let us handle these things for you! Keep your website up to date and looking professional with a little help from us.
For more details about this new service, please visit the Website Maintenance page!
In the ongoing effort to meet the differing needs of our clients, we have developed a new Website Maintenance Package that will be available effective August 1st. We are currently testing to have a streamlined sign up process ready for you!
Our Website Maintenance Package is for clients who have a website built on the WordPress platform, which by the way, we highly recommend. WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world and is used by nearly 75 million websites. According to WordPress, more than 409 million people view more than 23.6 billion pages each month. With that many people and businesses using WordPress, it’s hard to argue that it is one of the best website platforms. Read more interesting statistics about WordPress from codeinwp.com.
WordPress has premium themes and plugins and free themes and plugins. Premium options will be feature-rich, responsive, and well supported by the developer. These themes and plugins are also updated each time WordPress creates an update so they continue to work seamlessly together while ensuring the most robust and secure platform available.
Free themes are usually created by independent developers, with limited or no support – although high-end vendors will sometimes provide free “lite” versions of themes and plugins, as a tempter for their premium options. However, due to their lack of cost, the quality and customization options can vary greatly and you cannot rely on them to be updated as needed like the premium options.
For instance, if WordPress updates their platform and the theme or plugin developer does not, this could cause your site to have issues or even crash completely. Having said that, if you don’t do the required WordPress update, your site can also have issues. If you do not do the required updates suggested by WordPress or the theme and plugin developers, your will site could become outdated and not integrate well with other programs or newer plugins.
Watch for a blog post coming in August that will take a closer look into the details of the differences between the premium and free options.
Sounds like a catch 22, doesn’t it? If you don’t update you could have problems, but if you do update, you could still have problems. Confused yet?
That’s where our new Website Maintenance Package comes in. Let us do the worrying for you. We will ensure your site is backed up and updated to the latest versions monthly. Not only that, but we will make up to three website changes for you during a month, and even add one new page per month. Launching a new product or just updating content? We can make those changes for you. It’s all included in your monthly package where you will be able to lock-in a low cost option for website maintenance!
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, REGISTER NOW and you will receive the details and a coupon code delivered right to your inbox on August 1st!